Access Innovation Prize 2012
- Marijana Mrkalj
- On May 31, 2012
- Access Facebook Award – US$20,000 will go to the best actionable idea of how to use the Facebook platform to deliver a human rights, human development or social good outcome. We’re looking for initiatives across the spectrum – from enhancing freedom of speech and expression to improving the economic well-being of a disadvantaged group.
- Blackout Resilience – US$20,000 will go to the best actionable idea to help build an open-sourced, blackout resilient technology for use by activists and human rights workers in conditions where there is a need for alternate communications infrastructure to the one put in place and/or controlled by the authorities. For example, where there has been a communication network shutdown.
- Making Crypto Easy – US$20,000 will go to the best actionable idea to properly integrate encryption into an existing product/system, educate users as to how to use encryption and/or build a community who use encryption by default.
- The Bounty – A US$20,000 bounty will be granted for the best patch for a disclosed or as yet undisclosed vulnerability in a program/platform or software used by human rights defenders and activists.
- Golden Jellybean – This is an unthemed category. US$20,000 will go to the best actionable idea of how communication technologies can be used to promote and enable human rights. This could include a funding a researcher for $20,000; the development of a training guide for activists; a new censorship circumvention program; or an initiative to detect surveillance equipment on the network.
The application process will close on August 15. For more information on the timeline and the application process, go to https://www.accessnow.org/
Accessnow.org is a global movement premised on the belief that political participation and the realization of human rights in the 21st century is increasingly dependent on access to the internet and other forms of technology.
April 21, 2015
April 21, 2015
April 20, 2015