Joyent Launches New Windows and Linux Cloud Hosting Solutions
Leading Cloud Provider Expands Smart Technology Platform to Support Windows- and Linux-based Applications
San Francisco, CA (October 19, 2010)—Joyent, a leading global provider of cloud computing solutions, today announced the launch of its new cloud hosting solutions for Windows and Linux that expands its line of Smart Technologies for building and hosting web applications.
The new Windows and Linux virtual machines provide an optimized environment for the development and delivery of high-volume, high-traffic web applications on the Enterprise and Standard editions of Windows, CentOS, Debian, and Ubuntu operating systems. The solutions are now generally available for customers.
“We’re seeing an increase in customers in the enterprise space who want to move onto the cloud, but face a formidable obstacle with an existing app built on a Windows or Linux OS,” said Joyent CEO David Young. “Of course, they don’t want to rewrite it from scratch, so we’re providing a platform to support their seamless migration directly onto the Joyent cloud where they can leverage our exclusive smart computing infrastructure to gain reliable, peak performance at all times.”
Unlike other Windows and Linux cloud platforms, including Amazon’s EC2, the Joyent platform provides an environment optimized for web application development that delivers the highest level of performance in key areas such as:
- Disk I/O and Memory I/O, which are common bottlenecks leading to application failure to scale,
- Improved CPU speed and reduced network latency for faster performance, and
- Best-in-class price to performance ratio, making it pound-for-pound the most affordable solution on the market for the performance delivered.
“Rather than providing a commoditized infrastructure, the Joyent platform comes bundled with a full set of integrated solutions to deliver the high degree of responsiveness and reliability required for today’s real-time web apps,” Young said. “With on-demand scalability that provides unparalleled support for peaks and valleys, Joyent’s new Windows/Linux platform provides a robust, reliable and secure solution to support enterprise migration to the cloud.”
The new Windows and Linux solutions are available at all of Joyent’s state-of-the-art datacenters worldwide, including the highly secure, high-connectivity, high-density SuperNAP Swithch|NAP data center in Las Vegas.
For more information about Joyent’s purpose-built stack of carrier-grade smart technologies for cloud computing, visit www.joyent.com.
Joyent is the premier Infrastructure-as-a-Service (Iaas) and Platform-as-a-Service (Paas) provider offering cloud computing solutions worldwide since 2004. Delivering billions of page views per month, Joyent’s Smart Technologies improve performance, scalability, manageability and security for thousands of web and mobile applications. Serving a network of service providers and thousands of customers, Joyent is the only company that runs a major public cloud infrastructure, builds the technologies that power that infrastructure, and uses those technologies to enable multiple third-party public, private, and hybrid clouds. For more information, visit: http://www.joyent.com
Joyent is a leading infrastructure provider for some of the fastest growing businesses on the Web, including:
- Kabam which supports millions of users every day on Joyent architecture
- LinkedIn, which delivers billions of pages each month using Joyent infrastructure services.
- Country Life, which has used Joyent’s high performance infrastructure to scale quickly to over 8 million monthly active users on Facebook with great gameplay.
- Gilt Group, one of the world’s fastest growing eCommerce businesses, which has been able to reduce costs significantly by building on Joyent infrastructure.
# # # # #