Most expensive domain names & the corresponding Alexa ranking
We compiled a list of the most expensive domain names and the current Alexa ranking. The most expensive domain names on the web are once again for financial services & porn sites. Most of these domains are gateways for advertising products and act as a directory sites. Majority of these organizations are privately owned. We do not know if the domain names have been profitable for the purchasers. Therefore we included the current Alexa Ranking for each domain as indication of traffic that they are receiving.
- Insure.com, sold to QuinStreet for $16 million in 2009. Alexa Rank 44,111
- Sex.com sold for $14 million in 2006 Alexa Rank: 24,163
- Fund.com sold for $9,999,950 in 2008. Alexa Rank: 608,854
- Porn.com sold for $9.5 million in 2007.Alexa Rank:4,649
- Business.com sold for $7.5 million in 1999. Alexa Rank: 2,761
- Diamonds.com sold for $7.5 million. Alexa Rank: 538,492
- Beer.com sold for $7 million dollars. Alexa Rank: 449,081
- Israel.com, sold for $5.88 million in 2004. Alexa Rank: 1,100,741
- Casino.com, sold for $5.5 million in 2003. Alexa Rank: 2,528
- Toys.com, sold to Toys ‘R Us for $5.1 million in 2009. Alexa Rank: 236,427
- AsSeenOnTV.com sold for $5.1 million in 2000. Alexa Rank: 29,142
- Korea.com sold for $5 million. Alexa Rank: 43,634
- Altavista.com sold for $3.25 million. Alexa Rank: 3,695
One additional comment most of these domains are generic enough that they can never be Registered Trademark. Sites such as Altavista.com or AsSeenOnTv.com are unique enough to have a Registered Mark. It will be interesting to see how the generic domains will compete for traffic with the launch of new class of domain names.
How much are you willing to pay for a domain name?