Dell Unveils The12th Generation Dell PowerEdge servers
Dell today announced at events worldwide a suite of powerful new enterprise solutions to help customers deliver results faster. Organizations today are dealing with quickly changing and often unpredictable demands and require end-to-end IT solutions that allow them to respond rapidly to customer needs. With this announcement, Dell is delivering an end-to-end IT platform that raises the bar on customer-centric innovation which provides simplified management, increased performance and superior long term value.
“Customers tell us they want a high-performance infrastructure that is easy to manage and helps them quickly deliver business outcomes. Today we are introducing a new set of datacenter infrastructure solutions that share key capabilities across our entire portfolio, from servers to storage to networking”
“Customers tell us they want a high-performance infrastructure that is easy to manage and helps them quickly deliver business outcomes. Today we are introducing a new set of datacenter infrastructure solutions that share key capabilities across our entire portfolio, from servers to storage to networking,” said Brad Anderson, President of Enterprise Solutions Group at Dell. “We accomplished this through a combination of strategic acquisitions such as Force10 and customer-centric engineering of our new 12th Generation PowerEdge servers and storage platforms, delivering an integrated infrastructure with a common, high-performance network fabric. When combined with the second generation of embedded systems management in our servers, Dell is delivering one of the most robust and easy-to-manage datacenter infrastructures in the industry.”
The Most Powerful and Easy to Manage Servers in Dell’s History; 2nd Generation of Embedded Management
Dell announced a full portfolio of 12th Generation blade, rack and tower PowerEdge servers optimized to run mission-critical business applications. Dell designed and built its 12th Generation servers with input from more than 7,700 customer conversations in 17 countries across four continents – focusing on their needs for innovation to deliver business results faster. The new Dell PowerEdge servers work seamlessly with Dell’s storage and networking products and deliver innovations such as:
- Turning data into insights faster: Dell lays the foundation to extend its Fluid Data Architecture to the server. With Dell Express Flash, the industry’s first, front accessible, hot swappable PCIe solid state disks connected directly to the server, Dell can provide up to 10.5 times more Microsoft SQL Server transactions per second than HDD storage2. Dell CacheCade data accelerator can provide up to 28 times quicker queries on Oracle Databases3.
- Streamlining and automating essential systems management tasks: Dell extends its systems management capabilities with its 2nd generation of embedded server management tools that efficiently manage the deployment, updating, monitoring and maintenance of server lifecycle. Dell’s new PowerEdge servers deliver bare-metal deployment and provisioning that requires up to 85.5 percent less engineer time and up to 86 percent fewer manual steps.4 This extension of Dell’s systems management capabilities is expected to build on functionality in its 11th generation of servers, which saved Vitacore customers up to 43 days of systems administrator time per year5.
- Driving energy efficiency to bring a breath of fresh air to the datacenter: Building on Dell’s history of enabling the world’s most energy efficient datacenters with Microsoft Bing and others, Dell is bringing a breath of fresh air to all datacenters with its 12th Generation PowerEdge Servers. With Dell fresh air IT equipment, a datacenter can realize an estimated (US) $3,000,000 in capital expenditures6.
“At Moneygram International, we have virtualized more than 1,000 applications and databases in our infrastructure to control costs through server consolidation and improve the agility of the business to respond to marketplace changes. Currently, the memory capacity of our existing systems limits our ability to run more virtual machines on each host. The large-scale memory capacity available on the new Dell™ PowerEdge™ servers could give us the flexibility to significantly increase our virtual machine consolidation. We can increase the return on our hardware investments and reduce our software licensing costs—these are changes that will have a positive impact on our bottom line.” — Stacey Brown, Senior UNIX Administrator, Moneygram International
Dell Storage Arrays Offer Higher-Performance, Flexible, Small Footprint to Easily Manage Data and Costs
Dell also announced the next-generation EqualLogic PS Series storage arrays, which combine fast networking bandwidth with increased storage capacity in a smaller footprint than previous generations.
- EqualLogic PS6110 Series—Ideal for mid-sized deployments with multiple physical or virtual servers. These arrays are configured with both optical (SFP+) and copper (10GBASE-T) 10GbE networking, supporting data center flexibility. With up to 72 terabytes in a single array and 1.2 petabytes in a single group, customers can easily scale when needed by adding additional arrays into an existing EqualLogic group without downtime or forklift upgrades.
- EqualLogic PS4110 Series—Dell’s first 10GbE EqualLogic entry-point arrays can provide the same benefits and features as PS6110 Series and are designed for smaller deployments and remote office locations. The systems support up to 36 terabytes in a single array and 72 terabytes in a single group.
Dell’s Virtual Network Architecture Complements Server and Storage Announcements
Dell’s Virtual Network Architecture (VNA) is an open framework for virtualizing, automating and orchestrating network services in data center, campus and branch environments. Dell Virtual Network Architecture provides for an end-to-end 10GbE framework, which includes 10GbE Top-of-Rack and 10/40GbE distributed core fabrics. In the six months since acquiring Force10 Networks, Dell has dramatically extended the global availability of its products by more than 40 percent to more than 80 countries and added nearly 600 customers.
Delivering Results Immediately with Prebuilt Private Cloud Platforms
Dell unveiled vStart for Dell Private Cloud, which is designed to help businesses rapidly deploy their own private cloud. vStart for Dell Private Cloud will enable businesses to accelerate application and IT service delivery through a converged, pre-built infrastructure which includes the new 12th Generation PowerEdge server, storage, networking and management components.
Desktops Delivered According to Business Requirements
Dell Desktop Virtualization Solutions are designed to help customers simplify PC management and enhance security. Dell today announced two desktop virtualization offerings: Desktop Virtualization Solution Simplified and Desktop Virtualization Solution Enterprise. Dell Desktop Virtualization Solution Simplified is an integrated appliance, pre-configured with software and hypervisor components designed to remove the traditional cost and complexity of deploying smaller desktop virtualization solutions. Desktop Virtualization Solution Enterprise is designed to scale to thousands of virtual desktop users while reducing initial acquisition costs enabling deployments to start with as few as 50 seats.
Delivering Business Intelligence with Dell Quickstart Data Warehouse Appliance
Dell unveiled the Dell Quickstart Data Warehouse Appliance that will help mid-market and departmental users easily organize, access and analyze data, enabling them to take advantage of business intelligence to make more informed decisions. The data warehousing appliance, which is based on the new Dell PowerEdge servers and Microsoft SQL Server 2012, will leverage Dell Boomi for data integration.